Friday, January 6, 2012

A Vacation From Time

I need a vacation. I'm sure you need one, too. Is there anyone who doesn't feel this way at almost any given time? And those fortunate enough to be able to get away for awhile do indeed take vacations and almost to a one they return saying, I need a vacation to recover from my vacation.

I've been on those type vacations way too often. We get away from our homes, our jobs, our everyday lives and put ourselves into a new locale and often a different climate. Then, to make sure we make the most of it, we schedule our free time to death. We're not happy unless we visit every historic home, church, battleground or cemetery; sample all the 5-star restaurants and make sure we've shopped every boutique containing local artisan crafts or duty free goods. At least one day must contain physical activity, i.e. horseback riding, hang gliding, scuba diving or snorkeling. Then it's time to go home. In one week's time we've stuffed more activities into our calendar than we would have scheduled in a year if we'd remained at home. And we wonder why we're exhausted when we return.

What I need is a vacation from time.

I want to go somewhere far from home (preferably where it's warm) without my laptop and throw my watch and cell phone into a safe, lock them up, and forget about them for a week or two. I want to arm myself with a stack of books, a sketchbook, markers and maybe a glue stick and I want to park myself next to the pool, or on the beach. I want to wake up whenever I feel like it, nap whenever I feel like it, eat whenever I feel hungry and not necessarily at designated meal times and to speak only if I really have to. I don't want my senses assaulted by a TV or to even watch a movie. I just want to be, to breathe, to truly recharge my batteries.

And then, I can return home and face the world again, fully restored.

No comments: