Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Morning Reggae?


I didn't sleep well last night. My son and girlfriend drove down from NYC and tried to sneak in to surprise us with a visit at 4:00 a.m., but their plot was foiled by Emmett, my ever faithful watchdog.

I finally fell back asleep sometime after 6:00 a.m. and at 8:45 Emmett decided he'd had enough of that stuff and he encouraged me to get up and let him out. While he was outside taking care of business and digging up old bones, I decided to check out my email in my sun porch converted office.

All of a sudden, my husband's sound dock which is located in the bookcase between our desks (we share an office) came alive filling the room with the sounds of reggae. I looked at the time on my computer and it was straight up nine o'clock. I swear this has never happened before. I just stared at the sound dock in complete amazement. Then I sort of got into the groove.

Our landscape is still a frozen tundra from an unprecedented amount of snow that was dumped on us a couple of weeks ago and I'm really feeling the winter blues. The sunlight streaming into the sun porch and the sounds of the tropical music nearly transported me from Siberia to a sunny, sandy beach with the sound of quiet waves in the background, shady palm trees and suntanned, muscled gods serving fruity drinks with tiny umbrellas. Ahh, what the right music can do for you!

My husband finally put in an appearance and I asked him if he'd somehow set his sound dock to play reggae at 9:00 a.m. and he was clueless. So what happened? I realize that I may never know. But I like to think that someone or something out there knew exactly what I needed to help cure my winter blues.

No comments: