Monday, March 15, 2010

Road Trip

I love road trips. I love to drive. Of course the current price of gas keeps my road trips to a minimum, but I look forward to just about any excuse I can get to get in the car and drive somewhere.

Yesterday, I traveled 220 miles with my husband to help the grandkids celebrate their birthdays. The route we took was a familiar one. And as many times as I've made the trip I'm always bemused by the "Low Flying Aircraft" sign which we see along the way. Just what is it I'm supposed to do with this information? How do I react to this cautionary? Am I supposed to duck? If I see a low flying aircraft am I supposed to change lanes or maybe swerve to miss it? I'm puzzled, I'm confused. Why are they telling me this?


And who hasn't seen this falling rocks sign from time to time on their travels? Once again; how am I supposed to react? Am I supposed to drive along looking up at the cliffs searching for these rocks so I can swerve if they fall? Am I supposed to speed up and drive really fast so if there are falling rocks they don't hit me?

I have another theory. You've heard that expression when someone dies suddenly from something catastrophic and people say, "They never knew what hit them." I think that these signs have been erected so that if a low flying airplane or a falling rock smashes your car and kills you, you'll at least have an idea of what it was that caused your death. You will have been forwarned what it was that hit you and you won't die clueless. I think that that's what these signs are all about.


1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love to drive too and although I care enough about the price of gas to combine errands instead of just coming and going all day long. I drive a Subaru and get great mileage, so I take the long way in and out of town to avoid the traffic jam on the main artery.